Trillian Astra! Black Donnellys and FooBar!?
What a wicked show. I just watched it (thank you bit torrent) and was blown away. I have only really started watching TV shows last year starting with Prison Break and House. And this totally kicked Prison Break’s ass all over the air and putting it on on par with House. Which is a lot to say since I love House (not the character, the show ). If you haven’t seen the first ep, go forth, and watch it. Download it, find a rerun, check the NBC site. They may have it. But next Sunday is a new episode(ep 2) so if you wanna be up to speed, you best watch it.
I remember why I hate foobar. It’s not because the program is bad. No, I love the program. Its the community. They are pricks. They have BEAUTIFUL layouts for their foobars, but NO one will share. And there are no community guides or even documentation o how to do this (with the new plugin, Panels UI). FUCK! If I could get a guide on how to make my foobar look like those on the site, I would blow my load all over the screen. But seriously, they won’t help even if asked, and they won’t give guides or proper papers on the program. In all honesty they are one of the worse communities (up there with relic) I have never seen.
Finally! I got invited to the beta for this software. I love multi protocol IM’s so I was thrilled to have a chance to test a new one. And let me say this is actually really good. The program is small (mem print wise) responsive and slick. It has a really nice layout and the chat windows are well done. But remember this software is still in beta, so I am going to make it known that I have some problems with it.
1) Group Containers – Would MUCH rather see a smaller group container with smaller, and nicer looking tabs at the top. I like the idea of the group containers, but the graphics could be better.
2) Color Themes – The user should have the ability (a menu) that allows them to create their own color themes since I imagine there won’t be a lot of skinning going on with this program. They have a good amount of color themes (20 or so) but only a few are any good.
3) Chat Window – GIVE ME A OPTION TO TURN OFF THE RSS FEEDS! ARGH! I am a VERY minimalistic person when it comes to graphics. I would rather see the feeds in a little bar on the bottom if done properly so they aren’t obscuring my chat window.
4) User Status – I want to be to be able to turn of the status overlay on the chat windows.
5) History in chat window – I would like to see this become more separated from the rest of the chat. Put a line under it, or on the first message chuck a lot of whitespace in there.
6) MAKE IT FREE! This is a great program, but if they charge for it like they did with other versions of trillian no one is going to buy it. Well there will be a few 1000 uneducated people that don’t know other multiprotocol clients exist for FREE!
7) Bug – Memory Leak ( i think) its starts at around 10k which is really good for a IM client (Miranda uses about 12-15k and msn is up around 40-50k if i member correctly ). But you let Astra run for 10 hours and you have 22k mem usage. I dunno if it keeps going but I will try to watch. I exit astra to play DOD so I restart it every once in a while anyways.
Bug – Flashing window. Sometimes when you minimize a chat window, it flashes like when you receive a new message. There is no new message though. This is annoying.
9) Themes – some of the themes make the menus really difficult to read. Would think that themes bundled with the program would all work properly.
10) Tooltip – Would like to see the client that MSN users use. Gtalk has this in their tooltip and I would love to see this with MSN.
11) Themes – Option to create themes via menu. I stat this again because I think this is important and should be taken into consideration.
12) Bug – Changing Skins – When using the skins in the program, change it three times and Astra won’t redraw the skin properly.
13) Web client – The web client needs a LOT of work. I signed on only to find that I needed to make my connections there too. So that wouldn’t have been a problem but there were no tooltips, on text. But a bunch of different different colored balls. After clicking around I found MSN (no jabber?!?!). I made my connection and only 5 of contacts appeared… when i had about 35 online.. And then I tried to send a message with no luck. The chat window just didn’t open. This doesn’t stand up to Meebo
So, Cerulean, please address the issues I have outlined here. I personally think if you address all these issues, you will have the best IM client out there! So please, for the sake of the IMers such as me, make this the best client ever!